Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Empty-Full

Half and Half - Sunday Bookstore Pondering


The latte was good, made with half and half per my request. . . none of that thin, watered down stuff "called milk" for me. Life's too short at this point to waste taste buds on faux milk. The homemade chocolate chip cookie was equally good.

What's left now is a memory – a very cold and breezy Sunday afternoon and me huddled up in a bookstore overlooking the square. The music in there was way too loud for actual bookstore hanging out and the pondering and life's little awakenings that should take place. . . or maybe I am too distracted, easily. . . but no! . . . wait a minute . . . being followed around by people breathing down my neck, making me too full of their presence – that's distracting! People on my heels, over my shoulder, in my ear – I just don't need that.

I want to be empty enough of them so that I can find and feel what it is that I'm looking for. And I am always looking for something. A word. A phrase. A color. A shape. A shadow. A cloud. A scent. A sound. Those things fill me. But yesterday, they were not to be found – in the cup, the saucer, or the bookstore.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Bobbie said...

Love your 2 things entry, The smoothness of the cup and saucer matches perfectly the smoothness og the latte. I too hate it when a bookstore misses the whole point of what a bookstore is, too much music and sales people following you around are not where it is!



p.s. You did just fine. All you really have to do is leave a comment on 2 things and we can follow you back to your blog. Now, I must get my thinking cap on so I have something to post :)

January 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Good post! Nice to see a poetry entry.
The latte sounded very inviting too...

Your Katrina photos are wonderful. I love you choice of subjects, I too have been known to photograph piles now and then! lol. Your images really bring home that these things are pieces of peoples lives.

I'll be back to see what else you come up with!

Lisa (NZ)

January 22, 2008 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger Bev said...

This is a great entry. Wecome to the Two Things! I like your half and half interpretation. Sounds like a good coffee ( I don't like the the strong coffee myself. Half and half sounds just right) My favourite things are bookshops and coffee. You were obviously looking for something more, though, and I hope your creative activity helps you to find that. A metaphor for life, perhaps, with half of the lovely coffee drunk but you looking for something else.

January 24, 2008 at 3:43 AM  
Blogger dianeclancy said...

Hi Gara,

What a wonderful entry!! Creative way to show full and empty and great story with it!

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog

January 27, 2008 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger Janet Kincaid said...

Excellent interpretation! Glad you found us and hope you'll continue to interpret away.

January 27, 2008 at 6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home